- 1/4 cup (20 grams) cocoa
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (135 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cup (220 grams) all-purpose flour
- confectioners’ sugar to sprinkle on top
- In a small bowl, mix together the instant coffee, cocoa and cinnamon.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
- Put the butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer. Mix until creamy. Then add the egg, vanilla extract and salt and mix again.
- Add the cocoa-coffee-cinnamon mixture and beat slightly.
- Gradually add flour, and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Turn out on a floured counter and form a ball. Wrap in foil and refrigerate for about one hour.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into a log and cut it into 18 equal pieces. Form a small ball from each piece. Shape the balls into 12-inch-long (30 cm) ropes.
- Twist each rope into a pretzel shape (I recommend doing this on the baking sheet because it might get a bit awkward to transfer them onto the sheet).
- Some granulated sugar on top. Here we go… Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. If you’d like your cookies a bit more festive you can sprinkle them with some confectioners’ sugar. These cute and delicious pretzels can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.