True Love Chocolate Cake Recipe
24 Servings / Prep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup candy hearts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Fold in whipped topping. Frost cake. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut and candy. Yield: 24 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.